The Best Horse Riding Helmets
When it comes to safety equipment, there is nothing more important than the helmet. Just like motorcycle riding, bicycle riding, and recreation vehicles, in the realm of horse riding, helmets save lives. Statistics report riding helmets have an 80% success rate in preventing injury and death. Considering that when horseback riding there is always the threat of an accident, whether you are professional or amateur, old or young, it is important to wear the proper protection. Even on a sunny day while riding over flat terrain, wearing a helmet is a necessity. If you fall and bonk your head on an upturned stone without the right helmet on, you will surely be sorry.
How to Choose the Right Helmet
Equally important as wearing a helmet is wearing the proper helmet. You can’t just walk into the store and grab any old helmet off the shelf. It depends what you will be doing. There are different styles for the various types of sports and disciplines – think Western vs English. Sports helmets are preferred for hacking and schooling, whereas dress helmets are needed when showing. You also need to keep safety in mind when choosing the right fit. Your helmet should be certified, displaying clearly that it has passed all the guidelines for protecting the human skull against catastrophic damage. A horse-riding helmet should always have layers of air bubbles inside to reduce the impact of a collision or a fall. Whatever you do, don’t exchange cost at the price of your safety.
The next thing you need to do, once you’ve chosen your desired helmet, is to make sure it fits your head and protects your brain. If your helmet is all wonky, it could shift in the case of a fall and you won’t be protected. To ensure it fits the way it should check to see that your helmet covers your entire head and is firm, not shaking or shifting when you touch it. If it moves or doesn’t feel snug – or if there is room between your head and the helmet, you should switch to a smaller size. You never want to feel your helmet slipping. Similarly, you never want to have the sensation of your head being constricted or uncomfortable. If such is the case, you will need to try on a larger size. The brim of the helmet should be about one and a half inches above your eyebrows; any higher and you won’t be fully guarded.
How Long Will My Helmet Last?
Now that you have picked a riding helmet, you probably want to know how long it’s going to keep your head safe. We wish there was a better answer for the amount of money your helmet cost, but the standard lifetime of a riding helmet is roughly five years. This is due to many reasons, like sweat. Sweat tends to moisten the liner on the inside of your helmet and wear it down over time. You can lessen the damage of this by always wiping the interior after a long and sweaty ride. Another cause for the slow degradation of your helmet is the sun and the temperature. UV rays can weaken the material of your helmet after so many hours, while the constant shifting between cold and hot can breakdown this same material over time. The best solution is to keep your helmet somewhere that is climate controlled.
In the end, it doesn’t matter what you do or how careful you are. Every helmet will expire eventually whether you like it or not. The most important thing for you and your precious noggin is to stay vigilant. When your helmet starts to lose its stability, chances are it’s time to get a new one.
And now that we have all the technical babble out of the way, we can finally move on to the best riding helmets on the market today. These are five of the hottest, safest, and best-looking helmets you can get your hands on. Just remember, the right helmet for you depends on the style, fit, and personal preference.
Medalist Riding Helmet
- Cool-On Lining is a Hi-Tech soft fast drying lining that pulls moisture away from your head to keep you cool while riding
- Velveteen outer shell with 3 point harness and top and rear ventilation
- SEI and ASTM Certified
The Medalist Riding Helmet is a great fit for those who want a fashionable alternative to the same old thing. Smoothed in velvet, this helmet has a flash of style and a low-profile that makes it especially attractive. Adjustments are simple and easy to do. It meets all the necessary safety standards. You can’t go wrong with the Medalist Riding Helmet.
Tipperary Sportage Equestrian Sport Helmet
- UNMATCHED COMFORT - Lightweight, ventilated sport profile, the Tipperary Sportage offers unmatched comfort and protection in a sleek design for riders of all types, styles, ages and levels
- IMPACT ABSORPTION - The contoured drop back shell features lightweight high-density ABS for superior impact resistance and the EPS foam liner provides impact absorption
- CUTAWAY DESIGN - The cutaway design of this riding helmet creates a perfect fit while the adjustable foam interior pads provide added comfort
- VENTILATED HELMET - Additional padding is included for a personalized fit; top and rear venting provides for maximum airflow to make riding in hot weather more enjoyable
- EXTRA FEATURES - This sporty helmet has a reinforced four-point harness, a sleek flexible visor and a rear reflective strip for riding in lower light
Lightweight and resilient, this sporting helmet is made from high-density ABS plastic. Not only will this helmet withstand the impact from a fall, but its top-notch ventilation system prevents abundant sweating on hot days. Its nylon harness makes friction almost non-existent, and its drop-back shell reduces any potential rotation.
Troxel Intrepid Helmet
- Sure fit Pro fit system
- Black duratec finish
- Self-locking buckle
- Removable, washable headliner
- Mesh covered vents.Small :Upto 7, Medium :7-71/4 and Large :71/4+
Troxel helmets are never the wrong choice. The Intrepid Helmet comes equipped with its Sure Fit Pro System, which allows your helmet to be adjusted according to the size and shape of your head. This means you never have to worry about it falling off. The front visor also blocks the sun to take the stress off your eyes while riding. Oh yes, and did we mention it looks great?
Troxel Rebel Performance Helmet
- Surefit Pro
- Duratec finish
- Honeycomb mesh-covered vents
- FlipFold removable washable headliner
- ASTM/sei certified
A helmet for adventurers, the Rebel Performance Helmet has phenomenal protection and a light frame that makes it feel almost invisible on your head. It’s well-ventilated with Troxel’s infamous Sure Fit Pro System for an expertly customized fit. Also, you can take out the liner and wash it, therefore adding to the helmet’s life expectancy.
Ovation Women’s Protégé Riding Helmet
- Mesh interior vents to help keep debris and bugs out but allows air to flow through.
- Sleek, flattering low profile design with an extended back shell for extra protection. Matte finish.
- High flow vents to keep you cool. Removable washable liner.
- Adjustable dial to ensure a more secure fit. SEI Certified to ASTM F1163-04A.
- Extended back shell. Adjustable harness with quick snap buckle.
For the lady riders out there, we suggest Ovation’s Protégé Riding Helmet built just for women. Its size is smaller than most other helmets, with a minimal design meant to offer superior comfort. Vents on the top of the helmet are larger than traditional helmets, increasing airflow for an even more comfortable ride. Ovation Women’s Protégé Riding Helmet comes in a bold, feminine style.